Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

Anvil #1

I was gifted this little leatherworker's anvil some time ago.  It seems an appropriate thing to put in the quilt forge. 

Isn't it cute?  I hope to have more anvils out there soon.... if anyone knows where I can get a full-sized one to put in the corner and drape a quilt and hammer over, I'd love to know!

In the meantime, I am working on a pincushion shaped like an anvil.  I think I know how to do it.  Now it's just a matter of giving it a try!

Oh, and I finally got all the skulls cut out for Sugar Skull.  I guess that means this weekend I should start laying them out and sewing them back together again! 

I also was be-thumped by another quilt idea: since all of my grandparents' generation is now gone, I spent some time remembering what it was like at their homes over the years.  Combine that with a nice toasty summer, and lo and behold, another quilt. 

My grandparents moved a lot - fixing up houses, selling them for a profit, buying another one, repeat.... but they had two houses that I remember very well.  Both were in the country, with large pieces of land.  On one piece of land my grandfather and father built the house.  It's still there, by the way.  But the other thing the houses had in common, other than their rural nature, was the type of trees.  They both had pine trees.  My grandparents lived sort of on the edge of the Big Piney, in East Texas.  Whenever we would go visit them, there were certain things that always seemed to hold true: the sound of the hot summer wind in the pine trees, the sound of cicadas, and the sound of blue jays.

That is summer in Texas to me: pine trees, cicadas, and blue jays.  Where I live now doesn't have pine trees, but it has the other two.  So there's another quilt building in my mind; I have a rough sketch, and by Monday should have more than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment